After all, I live in gorgeous, picture-perfect San Diego. In a small, beautiful, comfortable city condo just blocks from world-famous Balboa Park and minutes from the Embarcadero and downtown. I’ve been in this wonderful city for 30 years. Thirty years!!!
So why on earth am I obsessively researching a move to México?
I just don’t know if I can…or want…to stay in the U.S. much longer. The practical reasons:
- I’m in my late 50s…and only a handful of years from Medicare and Social Security. Given the profound political changes, I wonder if they’ll still be available for me
- I’m self-employed. It’s getting harder to make enough income to live a solid middle-class lifestyle with a sprinkling of life’s little luxuries (hair salon, brow salon, nail salon, massages, the occasional shot of Botox…hey, I’m a SoCali woman! 🙂
- I want to travel more, which is getting harder and harder to afford
The emotional reasons:
- I feel trapped by my lack of disposable income
- After years of a successful, mostly workaholic career…I just don’t want to work that hard anymore (gasp!)
- Although I live in blue Cali, I’m increasingly depressed by the direction the U.S. is taking — and was even before the election
- I’m bored shitless
So is it time for a change? To shake things up? To say f* it, I’m outta here?
That’s what I’m gonna find out. And I want to share my adventures…the good, bad, ugly, fun, embarrassing, painful, interesting, joyful, stupid, ridiculous, amazing…by golly, the whole enchilada (yes, it was time for a bad pun)…right here.
¡Vaya conmigo! (come with me!) Strap on in…and let’s check out this crazy place called México. Hasta luego…